Thursday, August 5, 2010

Redemption Is Spelled N-I-G-H-T-C-A-T

My second day in Melbourne certainly did not disappoint. First up was an Australian Rules Football match, which is quite popular down here as you might imagine. The game was completely foreign to me and in no way, shape or form resembles what we know as football in America. Not only is it played on a huge oval-shaped field, but there are 18 players on each side of the field, so you can only imagine how much action is taking place at any time. On top of that, the play is nearly non-stop as the ball is hardly ever 'down' and when the ball is turned over, play continues without so much as a pause. The fast pace was a breath of fresh air after all of the stoppages that we have become accustomed to in sport in America. The match that I attended was apparently a big one - Carlton vs. Collingwood, the Blues vs. the Pies - but as it turned out, it was a complete blow out in favor of the Collingwood Magpies. Regardless, it was fun to be amongst the nearly 80,000 fans in attendance!



A few highlights of the game experience included:

Getting to see the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground), which is the biggest sporting stadium in Australia



Apparently if you are Australian, you know who this guy is (but I couldn't tell you)



Witnessing the use of the world's largest pom poms by some rabid fans



Spotting the coolest little kid ever during halftime when local clubs get to play on the big field. Our favorite, number 16, resembled an oompa loompa, wore one glove and sauntered around the field like he owned the place. He was the man!



After leaving the match a little early because of the way it was turning out, Adam and I headed to his place for a few drinks before going out on the town for the night. On tap for the evening were a few highly touted (by Adam) bars - Bimbo, Polly and the legendary Nightcat. A great time was had, though I must admit that I sent myself home early and could not quite repeat my performance from the previous weekend. I blame this on the fact that I was not in fancy dress...

I'll have the MANsinthe



The Nightcat!





Bust a move

No comments:

Post a Comment