Thursday, October 14, 2010

ACL Day 3 (or I Think I Drank the Kool-Aid)

Sunday, October 11

4:00 We get a late start for obvious reasons. There are grumblings about potentially not wanting to attend at all, but we rally and get ourselves out there.

Still standing



4:07 We see the gold sequin jacket dude again. Same exact outfit. This guy rules.

5:00 Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. Wow. I'm not sure what I had envisioned, but this caught me slightly off guard, albeit in a good way. This dude took the stage and looked like he could be holding a church revival meeting or at least was the leader of a cult. And the music had a very similar feeling to it. But I loved it! I'm pretty sure I would join that cult, though I don't think I would move to the compound. Honestly, this goes down as one of my favorites of the festival.

Random sidenote: there was a TOM's booth in the marketplace this year, and Michelle and I walked over so she could buy some more comfy shoes. Turns out she leaves her wallet there, and they later text her about it, then offer to deliver it to her work today. I'm so impressed, I'm going to buy another pair!

6:00 We opt for The Flaming Lips over Band of Horses. We could have probably seen both, but were feeling lazy. The Lips were good, but not nearly as good as when I saw them at SXSW a few years years ago. Could have been me, could have been them, but it was a little less than I was hoping.

The Flaming Lips



Most excited fan, in many ways



8:00 Set up shop for The Eagles. Behind us, Norah Jones is finishing up. I text my friend Adam, who I've heard detests her, asking him if he'd like me to buy him a commemorative t-shirt, and get the following reply:

"Please do, then douse it in a flammable liquid, jam that in the top of a glass vessel filled with said flammable liquid, light it and hurl it towards her, molotov cocktail style. Enjoy ACL!"

Incredible. The Eagles were about exactly what you would have expected, nothing more and nothing less. I wasn't keen on staying very long, especially after they cracked this joke on stage 'We wrote this song back when the Dead Sea was only sick.' That was all she wrote for me!

In all, ACL 2010 goes down as one of the best years yet for me! Can't wait until next year...or 2012 if I just happen to be out of the country in 2011 ;)

Austin Rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment