Thursday, October 14, 2010

ACL Day 2 (or Revenge of the Kettle Corn)

Saturday, October 9

2:00 After checking in with the crew, no one is ready to go over with me, so I make the trek alone. I pack as much vodka as I can in my ziploc bag (that I hid inside of a tampon box inside of my backpack), and haul butt to get to the Two Door Cinema Club show. I saw the last 15 min and they didn't disappoint. Fun dance music from a group from Northern Ireland...couldn't go wrong! I wandered from there to see Gaslight Anthem and meet Brie's crew, who were easy to find because they were carrying a green stuffed dinosaur decorated with a red bandana and Xmas lights on a stick. Party Monster - classic.



4:30 I have no idea where we spent the last hour, but I am pretty sure it included buying Sweet Leaf Tea to mix drinks. Also procured a bag of kettle corn during this time. These decisions would all haunt me later. Head to Broken Bells and enjoy ourselves thoroughly.

Frequently visited...



5:30 Check out The Temper Trap, another solid choice.

Florida girls



The Temper Trap



Our crew



6:30 We forgo LCD Soundsystem for Gogol Bordello, which was a must see per my friend, Mike. Tough call as LCD was very highly recommended as well, but I thought we could probably split the time. Well, Gogol Bordello was so entertaining, we didn't leave. The main dude is Romanian or something Eastern European and is insane! I downloaded a few songs, but listening to it on iTunes does not do it justice. This did not actually happen to us as we weren't close enough, but the singer apparently walks into the crowd and pours red wine on concert goers. He also drinks straight from the bottle of red wine during his songs. Their performance was definitely one of my favorites of the weekend!

These guys rocked



Party Monster feeling groovy on Day 2



Austin at dusk



7:30 Missed both Matt and Kim and Deadmau5 because I got distracted by the tent with the big screen broadcasting the Gator game. In retrospect, this was a bad idea. I only saw a portion of the second quarter, but it was when things started going downhill. The highlight of this was that I was asked very conflicting questions in two separate conversations with strangers - first, was I still a student at UF? and second, did I have a child who attended UF? Whoa. I dismissed both and kept drinking.

Fellow Gators felt my pain



9:00 We can hear MIA playing in the background at the football tent, and she does indeed put on a acoustically terrible show. Lots of yelling and screeching noises. We head to Muse, which is pretty great. I would like to give you more specifics, but this is where things start to go downhill for me...I was rocking out until I decided I had to take a quick bathroom break. I determine on that walk that I have had too much to drink, too much kettle corn in place of real food, and that I am quite nauseous. After informing Michelle and Jenna, they agree to leave with me and we set out on the walk home. As a precaution, I empty the rest of the kettle corn out of its plastic bag and walk calmly with my head down. Deep breaths, deep breaths. I am holding steady until we get to the Mopac foot bridge over Lake Austin, where I make it about 75% across before I burst into a full out sprint. A combination of the crowd, the running and the waft of kettle corn coming from the bag does it for me, and I toss my cookies (corn?) right there amongst hundreds of my festival friends. Thank God for the bag. I'm sure I wasn't the first and won't be the last! I have to say I am pretty proud of my execution, and kind of consider myself hardcore after this turn of events. Good training for Australia!!

Muse



Return of the camera setting



All smiles before our quick exit

No comments:

Post a Comment