Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I'm A Fan

If you know me, you know I love sports. My loyalties lie somewhat in this order:


1. The Florida Gators
2. The Florida Gators
3. The Florida Gators
4. The Orlando Magic
5. The Texas Longhorns
6. Any athlete or team representing the USA
7. Have I mentioned the Florida Gators?
8. Whoever is playing FSU
9. Anything but professional baseball
10. Correction: anything but hockey


And one of the hardest things about being away from America has been missing games and all things ESPN. But, I'll spare you any tears because I live in a beautiful country and am learning to embrace the sports of Australia.

The game I've taken most interest in is Australian Rules Football. You may recall that I attended a match last July in Melbourne at the MCG between the Carlton Blues and the Collingwood Magpies. Collingwood went on to win the Grand Final (the equivalent of our Super Bowl), and I've since learned that being a Collingwood fan is somewhat like being a Tennessee Volunteer fan. You are hated by everyone outside your own fan base, you are stereotyped as white trash and you probably don't have all of your teeth. 

Lucky for me, my arrival coincided with the inaugural season of the newest AFL team, the Gold Coast Suns. I've decided to back them as my team, and so far I have attended the first ever 'Q Clash' at the Gabba in Brisbane (between the Brisbane Lions and the Suns), and the first home game at the Suns' new stadium here on the Coast. Though most Suns matches end with an undesirable outcome, that doesn't seem to have damaged their spirit or stopped them from playing the finest team song in the league. So I say, RISE UP, SUNS!



Footy fans at the Q Clash




We decided that the Suns' mascot looked a bit like Ridge from the Bold and the Beautiful


Some sort of ceremony to celebrate the Suns' victory


One of the perks of being on the winning side: having your picture taken by the losers


Suns' first home game at Metricon Stadium




Do yourself a favor and listen to this at least once

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, that is catchy! I like it.

    (and a big BOO to #8!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peppy, upbeat, I like it! I shall now claim it as my own theme song...

    ReplyDelete