Thursday, February 3, 2011

Australia Day

The first three weeks of my life in Australia have been filled with one exciting event/celebration/holiday after another. I really arrived at the right time (as long as you aren't counting the natural disasters that also coincided with my arrival, but for the record, I'm safe and well)! From Magic Millions to the Australian Open to Australia Day, there have been plenty of opportunities to enjoy life so far.

Australia Day, celebrated on January 26, is the official national day of Australia, commemorating the arrival of the first fleet at Sydney Cove in 1788 (thanks Wikipedia!). Much like our Fourth of July, it is a day for Australians to show their national pride by eating, drinking, setting off fireworks, hanging out with friends and enjoying the sunshine. One tradition that I loved, and it seemed that the whole country was tuned in for, was the radio station Triple J's countdown of the hottest 100 songs of the previous year. I couldn't believe how talked about this was, both leading up to and after the countdown. Really unique and really cool in my opinion!

#1 spot went to Angus and Julia Stone's 'Big Jet Plane.' Check it out, it's quality!


I was fortunate to be invited to two Australia Day parties this year, and the one I ended up at was a great time. Interestingly enough, half of the pictures I have documenting the day are of just me and Filo, neither of us being Australian. But, good for us for using this day as an excuse to have fun anyway!

Imposters


The crew enjoying a break from the heat


'Australia' cheese complete with Tasmania, complements of Julie. I challenge anyone in the US to make this for July 4th this year. And don't leave off Hawaii and Alaska!


Sun down, countdown over, Americans still smiling

No comments:

Post a Comment